Monday, May 26, 2008

I hope you can forgive me, Internet, for going back on my word yesterday. I don't really have an explanation for it, except I just didn't feel like it. Also I was readjusting to church at night, which does not happen at school.

Anyways, when I promised you literary thoughts, I was thinking I would have made some headway with Emma but I haven't really. I've read several chapters, but not enough to make a judgment. I have every intention of finishing it, purely because it's Jane Austen, even if it doesn't become my new favorite (which is the standard I have for every book, I'm always disappointed if it doesn't).

But I was watching Carousel today, and I do have some story-focused thoughts for you. Why is it that old movies are considered classics? The acting style is generally horrible, at least by today's standards, but they are still classics. Why? Is it the story? Were the plots just so incredible that they shone through mediocre, falling-apart-with-age everything else? In some cases, I think so. One of my favorite stories ever is from The Shop Around the Corner, the Jimmy Stewart movie that You've Got Mail is based on. I absolutely love that movie, but for purely romantic reasons. Many of the older movies that survive today revolve around love, because it is the universal language. I was sort of thinking this post through in my head and I realized just how many cliches I was in danger of using, but it's certainly true. There are different reasons films survive time, but I suppose the main reason is that people still relate to them. I guess my conclusion was rather more simple than I thought it would be. I am a tad bit underwhelmed.

But still, movies like South Pacific or Gone With the Wind have such ridiculous plots and characters. How can we still relate to them?

So that's my intellectual pondering. Tomorrow it is back to serving chicken and being nice to obnoxious people who don't deserve it at Chick-Fil-A. I have Wednesday off though! Maybe I will describe some work experiences. Maybe not.

No comments: