Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Time on My Hands

Hello again,

I have some time on my hands and thought I would make a quick post. I was browsing facebook (wonderful procrastinator that I am), and just catching up on what's going on with some people I went to high school with (creepy stalker that I am). I miss high school. Not that I don't love college. But there were some pretty cool people in my class, and in the class below me, that I didn't get to know very well. Messiah is all about community, but for all their talk, three thousand people with different interests is not very conducive to unity.

I love the movie Notting Hill for two reasons. One, Hugh Grant. Two, the scenes with his friends. They are amazing people. I can't even describe it. They have been together forever and they know each other inside and out. They are family. I have that relationship with maybe three people my age, and they all live at least 250 miles away from me. Granted, I will be reunited with two of them very soon, and I CAN'T WAIT.

But I am afraid that one day I will walk down the sidewalk to Lottie (our cafeteria) and see a bunch of acquaintances, a couple classmates, a couple girls from my floor last year, a couple people I go to church with, but no friends. No people I can have a conversation with without saying anything.

Now I know what you're thinking. If I can't deal with the anonymity of three thousand people, how the heck am I going to live in the city (any city) and be happy? I'm still figuring it out, but I am determined to make connections.

I also think that next semester in Philadelphia will be really good for me. There are only about fifty people going (so I've heard), and the administrators of the program make sure we do a lot together. I am really excited about getting to know the people and the city. Philadelphia is a beautiful, bizarre place, and I have some insight into the football culture (thanks to my uncles, and sometimes my mom), so I can appreciate it (mostly laugh at it).

Ok, so I really didn't have extra time. I have a pile of homework to do, and work in half an hour, but you are my number one priority right now. Doesn't that give you a warm, fuzzy feeling, Internet?

I'm not sure when I'll post next; I guess it will be whenever I have something to talk about. Until then!

No comments: