Saturday, June 21, 2008

Hello again!

As I so aptly titled my last post (and I say that with extreme modesty), life does indeed go on. Since I last communicated with you, dear Internet, much has occurred. My great-grandmother (my dad's grandma) has died, and my parents are currently in Roanoke sorting through things. I know that Dad and his sister were the sole beneficiaries, but I really have no clue what that means. Basically I think they get all the chores.

Is that a horrible attitude to have about death? Life goes on? I mean, I am sure Grandmother will be missed, but she was in pain, and we could see that a year or so ago. It was a slow decline into congestive heart failure, and while I'm not sure it was the horrible, terrifying torture that description of a year in pain implies, it is a bit of a relief to know that it's over for her.

In other news, I completed Emma about a week ago, I think, and have since read another book. Emma was really excellent, as I would expect from Austen. Emma and Mr. Knightley made great counterparts, and all of my favorite parts of the book involved them. I also found a line that is a great example of Austen's humor, and a great piece of writing.

"Mr. Knightley seemed to be trying not to smile; and succeeded without difficulty upon Mrs. Elton's beginning to talk to him."

Even if you know nothing of the two characters involved, it is funny.

Tomorrow my brother, sister and I are joining my parents in Roanoke, so I will try to post again Monday. I have to discuss the other book I read, Nemesis, by Agatha Christie, and my difficulties in beginning Crime and Punishment.

Until then!

No comments: