Tuesday, February 3, 2009

No More

As I've reflected over the past few days on my ever-changing life, I've realized that I complain. A lot. So, I am declaring a no-whining zone in this blog (at least for this entry ;)

In an effort to promote this new, positive outlook, here are some good things that have happened to me.

Classes started Monday! Wellness won't be so much fun, but right after that is my one history class of the semester with probably my favorite professor ever, Jim LaGrand. I am definitely a fan of his. His voice sounds like Kermit and his faith shines through everything he does. We haven't gotten into any course material yet, but the class (U.S. Urban History) will definitely be one of the most challenging of the semester. He is legendary for lots of reading, writing and tough grading. Woo!

I'm still deciding how I feel about Contemporary American Poetry. It's definitely out of my comfort zone, which seems to be the standard for this semester, but it could still be good. I just have to get used to the English way of doing things as opposed to the History way. It shouldn't be that much of a difference, but I do have to think about things in a different light.

Intro to English Studies is looking to be fairly easy. There is only one paper that is more than one page. Apparently we will spend all semester revising it, but I'm not too worried. Stay tuned for when I find out how wrong I am :)

Advanced Writing was the one course that absolutely terrified me. It still does, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be the best class ever. I completely adore the professor, a funny, quirky woman, and, at least in the beginning, it feels like Creative Writing in high gear.

Money is a big concern for me this semester. Philadelphia and JTerm, both with minimal employment, kind of drained the coffers, and if things go as planned, the summer won't bring much extra cash either. So, I'm the work-study in the History department. It was really hard to get hours during Jterm, but just today, I got several more things to do, so hopefully, that will keep going, and the hours are very flexible. Altogether, this semester was looking to be pretty busy, but not anything that I couldn't handle with a little stress....

Surprise! The Writing Center just had a position open up today, and I guess I was next on their list. I'm not sure what the hours will be, or the pay, or anything really, but I'm going to try my best to make it work. I've wanted to work here since the first semester of my freshman year, and I'm certainly not going to let it go now.

Ok, so the movie Suzanne (my roommate for those of you who don't know) [edit: the movie Suzanne and I are watching (thank you, Jackie)] is nearing completion, and I have must get some sleep before tomorrow. Lots to do, lots to do!

2 comments:

lm1241 said...

Let me just say, miss "I eat books for breakfast", I loved reading this entry and I hope that I will be likewise fed with every preceding entry: no pressure! :) Seriously though, your writing made me smile. And I'm with you on feeling convicted about complaining; I feel that I've skipped over all the verses in the Bible that exhort us to be rejoicing always, in every circumstances and I've come to realize that that's crucial to living a fulfilling life that's pleasing to God. So maybe we can keep each other accountable!
Imaginary high five on the workstudy position AND on the writing center! Look at you go! Can I say that I'm proud in a noncondescending way? Well this is me trying.
Have a great great day!

lm1241 said...

*not every preceding, but every upcoming entry. darn not revising!