Sunday, January 25, 2009

How is this possible?

Such a day I've had. Please be warned - the following can only be described as whining.

In the past week, I have had a total technology meltdown. All the days run together now, so I can't remember exactly when, but at some point, my computer display quit working. I am now fairly certain that the hard drive also quit, because I tried to connect it to a monitor, and nothing showed up. As a direct result of the computer death, my iPod must find another source of power. Also, at some point this week, my phone died even though I had charged it up the night before. It's better now though, so I think it just wanted a short break.

Saturday night, on my way back to campus, I noticed the the engine of my car was not too quick on the draw. I parked it (illegally) in front of my dorm and didn't think much of it. This morning, however, when I faithfully made my way outside in order to go to church, it refused to start at all, and the noises it made with each succeeding attempt were progressively more dismal. I called Campus Safety, who said I had to go sign out the battery jump start pack thing (I don't remember what they called it), so I walked to the Safety House. "Oh no!" they said. "You get those at Dispatch." Laughing (quite sincerely) at my mistake, I walked to Dispatch, where I obtained the slightly heavy thing and started my car without much difficulty. I parked the car in D Lot, where it's supposed to be, and continued on with my day. In a later conversation with my dad, we decided to just replace the battery, considering I'm going on a trip later this week and the current one happened to be nine years old. Definitely time for retirement.

So, I walked to D Lot once again, ready to drive to Sears, but alas, my poor Honda Civic couldn't even handle that. I headed back to Dispatch to get the thing, carried it back to D Lot, and started my car. From there to Sears was another adventure, as it involved returning the thing to Dispatch, and getting gas, so I wouldn't kill my car twice over. I didn't shut the car off at Dispatch, but I had to at the gas station, and there was a slight moment of fear when I turned the key. But no worries, as my car performed one last service for me and started with no trouble. I proceeded to Sears, where they kindly installed a Diehard Gold battery, and I successfully drove back to campus without the nagging fear that my car was going to suddenly shut off.

I should mention that during this week of technological failure, I have had relatively no entertainment. My computer is also my dvd player, and I have been shamefully deprived. I did read Northanger Abbey, though, and I think, with some reflection, it will become a favorite of mine. Tomorrow, I send the devil computer off to HP, with a whole list of maladies. Good riddance, say I! The only regret I have is that my iTunes library is slightly in jeopardy. I have it all on my iPod, but still, it makes me nervous. All my documents are safe, however.

I am now completely worn out and ready for this ordeal to be over. I think my next entry may be from the great state of Ohio (go bucks :)). Until then!

No comments: