Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Craziness

So the past month, really the past two weeks, have been absolutely insane. Seriously. I'm still in the middle of midterms, but what is worse than midterms is the frenzy before midterms. Because for some reason professors think it's okay to assign papers a week before the exam. A week before the exam! I haven't been to lecture in one class for two weeks, just so I can get all the reading done for all my other classes. Sorry, US Survey, unfortunately due to your GEC status, you're the first thing on my list to get cut.

In any case, I spent this weekend with some friends. I was expecting to not do any homework and come back more stressed than ever, but I hadn't seen them since May, so it needed to be done. However, it was a very refreshing time. I actually did some reading (Henry IV), but I didn't stress about it, and I had fun just generally wandering around. It was so good to be able to be with them again, after a summer and half a semester out of their lives. It made me look forward to going back to main campus in the spring.

So, things in Philadelphia are slowly getting better and less hectic. Or rather, I find myself slowly realizing that I can, in fact, do the hectic double major thing. When I added English, I didn't quite grasp how much reading I was condemning myself to, particularly when paired with History. This semester I've been a little overwhelmed. But at the same time, I know that I made the right decision. Never once has there been a doubt in my mind that I'm supposed to be studying literature and history. It fits me, and that is a very satisfying thought.

Three things I have discovered recently:
1) Transitioning from the city to a rural campus will be much more difficult than I anticipated.
2) As stated above, I can do this crazy college life. (there's been some doubt)
3) The heater behind my desk makes a nice place for my feet to rest.

On that toasty note, I must return to The Faerie Queene, although on a side note, the further I get into the story, the more disappointed I am that the Monty Python boys did not take advantage of this plot(s). One character, Florimell, does nothing but scream and run from both real and imaginary foes through several books and cantos. Such a missed opportunity.

No comments: