Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Return

I'm back with a brand new power cord!

Well, dear readers, Oxford is...so wonderful. It's hard to explain, because it's really not a land of castles and dragons, but going from day to day with one purpose, to broaden the reaches of my mind, changes everything else I do. It's perfectly normal to have a conversation on the validity of Freudian motifs in children's literature, and a few days ago, several people were up until 4:30 in the morning arguing (among many other topics) about the coming together of postmodernism and Christianity. Sunday morning, I woke up before my alarm (a very rare happening) and was pleased because it meant that I could get to the library (not open on Sunday) earlier. I'm training myself, along with everyone else in the SCIO program, for research.

Tired is a constant state of being, unfortunately, but everyone else is having the same experience, so it's not so bad. I'm planning three trips between now and the end of term, I think. One to Edinburgh in a few weeks. Just a weekend trip. And another to Hay-on-Wye, on the Welsh border, but I'm not sure when that's happening. I am going to Italy for spring break though! A small group of friends and Dr. Rosenberg, the program director, are going to Florence, Ravenna and Pisa. So I won't get to Rome or Venice, but the places we're going are so incredibly beautiful, and I can't complain :)

2 comments:

Alcazal said...

Elizabeth! Florence is so lovely! Oh! It is such a romantic city. I hope you love it. I'm coming to Oxford in 5 weeks! You'll still be there, right? We must do tea at some point! And you should come visit the convent and meet the nuns and attend a Vespers or other service. Yippee!

Anita said...

It's wonderful to hear a little of what's going on in your heart:) I'm glad to hear you have trips planned...no doubt you will love every minute. Love you Liz!!!