Tuesday, December 2, 2008

THINGS HAPPENED TODAY

ONE: I found a book that is not as good as the movie!!! I know of other such rare circumstances, but this is my first primary experience. The story under examination is The Devil Wears Prada. The movie is absolutely wonderful. I bought the book on Saturday, and I finished it on the plane back to the city yesterday. The best I can say about it is a shrug of the shoulders and "meh." Maybe the story, with its NYC and Paris setting and beautiful clothing, just lends itself to a film format.

TWO: I did not write the paper that was due in my Medieval Literature class. I got into that panicky, early morning, paper writing mood and emailed the TA, asking for an extension. She reminded me that the professor allows two grace days, neither of which I had used. YESSSSSS!! So, I've now outlined the paper, which I will write tomorrow. I really need/want to do well on this paper for two reasons. 1) I got a C+ on the first paper. That's all. 2) I've decided that I loathe much of what this class is about, particularly eight page poems rhapsodizing on the merits of an estate in the English countryside. If I do well on this paper on Henry IV (which I actually quite like), it is basically sticking it to the man (medieval poetry specifically) English-major style. That's a good thing.

THREE: (this doesn't really merit a number because it's not exactly an event, but whatever) For those of you who have not yet discovered how much of a dork I am, this will tell you down to the decimal. I am currently listening to Jingle Spells, a wizard rock Christmas compilation. Wizard rock (spelled wrock in the Harry Potter fandom)? Yes. Bands with names like Draco and the Malfoys or The Mudbloods. With Harry Potter themed songs. It's absolutely amazing. Jingle Spells was a compilation organized last year by the news website The Leaky Cauldron as a charity fundraiser. So on top of the amazing-ness of Harry Potter themed songs, they are also Christmas songs! Which makes for double joy in listening. Jingle Spells 2 is now on sale, but being poor, I'm hoping an iTunes gift card will be in my stocking or a sibling was wonderful enough to actually purchase the CD for me. We'll see what happens, but right now, I'm listening to The Whomping Willows rap about a Christmas party at Hogwarts.

No comments: